Tuesday, October 18, 2011

More than one kind of mountain.

I titled this blog Mons Viator (mountain traveler) because of the unusually high amount of time I was planning on spending in the mountains this past summer. From Tekoa to Mount Rogers to Smith Mountain Lake... I traveled some mountains, let me tell ya. Sitting at home now, well into fall, I have encountered a wonderful double meaning to the term "Mons Viator". Although I am not physically at the summit of some peak or in the shaded valley of Sam's Knob I still am surrounded by mountains. Decisions that loom above me, choices that require sacrifice, goals that demand time; they are all mountains of a sort. Everyone has mountians, everyone is a "mons viator".
My point to this rambling is that we all have mountains, and at some point in time they are going to be intimidating. We will stand in that valley and look at the overpowering issue before us and want to give up, but we CAN'T. From all of my experience hiking I have come to realize that the view from the top of the mountain is always worth the work it takes to get to the top. God didnt create the panoramic views for us to idle blindly in the valley, nor did he give us the ability to achieve great things just to watch us waste away. Whatever your mountain is, face it. You won't regret it.

1 comment:

  1. sometimes the journey up HURTS. Every once in a while you'll encounter a nice long ridgetop with short ups and downs, but a great view the whole way.

    ReplyDelete