Tuesday, May 8, 2012

"I'm so humble"

       One of the virtues that is easily overlooked is humility and it is overlooked by definition. When considering humility in our daily lives we need to look at our motivations; are they selfless or are they designed with us in mind? Do I attend Church or volunteer at Crisis Control Ministries because I love Jesus and want to serve or is it because I want to say "Look at me, look at how great of a Christian I am!"
       There is a critical fault in our thought process that is groomed and perfected throughout our lives. This idea of self recogniton reaches it's culmination during your senior year of high school when colleges and scholarship organizations ask you to list all of your achievements. Now I am not saying that you shouldn't be proud of the good things you do but don't let that pride be what makes you perform the action. Let the pride come as a result, as a product of the satisfacton you get from helping others.
       If we boast our humility then we are not humble at all, we are the inverse of humble. How do we expect anyone to want to join the Church if from the outside we look like a group of pious, hypocritical nags? I dont think I would want to enter any sanctuary filled with vultures like that. I am not just attacking the church, I am attacking myself. I think every once in a while we all need a sobering moment where we realize how insignificant we really are. We have to be brought down out of the clouds, low enough that we can see the land spread out below us, the big picture. We are as important as the whole we create and as insignificant as the singular we try to be. This post is my brick, bringing me to reality. What's your brick? Are you holding it? Or ignoring it? Are you convincing yourself that you're recognition is as important as the work you did to recieve it? Let go of the weght, actually, throw it out of the basket and watch as your hot air ballon falls below the cloudline. I promise the view is much better below the clouds than in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment