Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Munich! Munich! How thou bustling streets impress me...

Tuesday- Today we got an earlier start and grabbed a pastry on the way out of Ulm. We headed down the autobahn to Munich and arrived around 11:30. We rushed through the Altstadt and barely made it in time to see the Glockenspiel (a huge 2 story clock depicting a German duel and dance) at the Markenplatz. The city center was bustling, full of every demographic. I really like Munich because it is a nice mix of old and new. There are contemporary building nestled between cathedrals that are 500 years old. Although the contrast is stark it adds unique character to the city. We went to the city market and wow….it was cool. There were tons of stalls selling vegetables and fruits, hundreds of varieties that I had never heard of, and lots of meat and cheese stalls too. We then headed north to the Hofbrauhaus, the most famous beer hall in Germany where we sat back and soaked in the Ompah band while sipping on a Pilsner. Then we walked across the city to the neue pinokatech, an art museum that houses some of the most notable European artist of the last millennium. IT WAS CLOSED. Queue the rain( literally ). Extremely disappointed, we hailed a cab and returned to the car. I am now back in Ulm, and I think I may go explore the old city some tonight. I have found that Germans lifestyles are very similar to Americans but they seem to have one thing right that we don’t…they know what’s really important in life and they take time to enjoy it. I hope that if I bring anything back, it is that mindset. Well, goodnight….sleep tightJ


* Sorry about some spelling errors, I’m not sure exactly how to spell some of the place name

No comments:

Post a Comment