Sunday, March 25, 2012

R.I.P Societal Norms

   This weekend I went to Acquire the Fire, a massive youth rally held in the Gboro coliseum. Let me start off by saying that it wasn't one of those feel good services that tells you that you are doing a great job and everything is just fine. No, it was full of passion, truth and fervent joy about our Lord; about how we can better serve him, become better christians and create a better world. It was an amazing experience and I'm glad I had the opportunity to be a part of it. Today I want to talk about killing, and some of the things we need to kill.
1. Normality
2. Cool

The weekend's theme was "I'm not normal" and as christians that should be our motto. God calls us to be the light and yet statistically in this day and age we are no different than those who are not christians. How can we be a light against the darkness if someone can not see the difference between dark and light...are we really a light at all?  I want to restate something that I mentioned a long time ago, we can't get aloof because we think we ARE the light. We are just fragments of glass reflecting the true light, Christ. Once we have identified that we are not the christians we are meant to be we need to investigate and find the root of the problem. NORMAL. That's our problem. The christians of the first century were stoned, flogged, and verbally abused for following christ. They were passionate, faithful and full of joy.... doesn't sound like us, does it? The difference....alot of things, the key factor? They didn't care about being normal, and normal runs our life. Problem # 1 solved : Kill Normal.
Problem # 2 is a sub-section of problem # 1 but in a way it is much harder to kill than normality because COOL is the reason we want to be normal. Cool it the epitome of normal, it's the bees knees, it's acceptance...it is human nature to desire it, and we have to fight it. Cool is everywhere, it is in skinny jeans, a pack of cigarettes, a new pair of nikes and a 2012 mustang. We can remove these desires, these false idols, without too much damage to our life. We just have to live a little more simply and live counterculture but the hardest part about killing cool is that the "church" has become cool. So how do we kill cool without killing the church? A simple mindset change is all that is required. Keep in mind that this change will be simple but definitely not easy. We must remove the social aspect from church, filter out the feeling of superiority and view church as a place to serve God and carry out his works. We need to go to church because we want to serve the Lord, not because it is cool. If you lived in a country where Christianity came with a death sentence would you still sneak out and go to church? Would you still read your Bible? Would you still give your life to Christ? Does God have your heart or have you given it to the world, to pleasing others, to cool?
Cool lives in my life, he is at my side when I'm looking at that new shirt or saying what I need to fit in. As of today I'm killing cool. I'm going old school, so old you may call it ancient. I'm going 1st century. I am killing cool and I'm not looking back. I'm going counter culture in the name of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment